Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Flowers in the Attic

In every domestic novel we’ve read, we get a glace at a different type of relationship between parents and children, mother and child. One thing that I found particularly odd about the Hidden Hand was the relationship between Traverse and his mother, Marah. Although no one can deny the fact that Traverse loves his mother, one must question just exactly in what way does he love his mother. For instance, when he first walks into the room and greets his mother and she asks if he’s outgrown his childhood, he replies, “Yes, dear little mother; in everything but the privilege of fondling you” (Southworth 196). This struck me as odd, so I wrote creepy in the margin of my book and continued reading. The two continue their conversation and it appears normal. I didn’t think more about it, until the last chapter of the selection.


Before Marah and Traverse receive the letter containing the bad news, the two are once again talking and the subject of Traverse’s father comes up. This “greatly bewildered the mind of Traverse and agitated him with the wildest conjectures” (212). Surely, I thought, he’s merely agitated with not knowing who is father was and not by the fact that his mother did have a lover at one time. I continued reading, once again writing the word ‘creepy’ in the margin. By the next page I failed to come up with and adequate excuse for the language represented in relationship between Traverse and his mother; I believe that he is in love with her.


Marah is crushed with the news that there is no fortune coming to save them and trying to comfort her, Traverse says “I love you more than son ever loved his mother, or suitor his sweetheart, or husband his wife! Oh! Is my love nothing, mother?” (214). Woa now, those are two very different types of love, how can he feel both for the same woman or even compare them to each other? The awkwardness continues when he paints a picture of how they will prosper in the end and tells Marah that, “you are not much older than you son; and we two will journey up and down the hills of life together-all in all to each other […] and we will pass out and go to heaven together” (215). This is the sort of dream that a husband wishes for him and his wife, not that of a young man and his mother…

3 comments:

  1. I could.t agree with you more! Even after discussing it in class I still felt unconformable with the language used to describe the relation ship! I thought you had good textual support for this! Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, when I was reading The Hidden Hand I did my absolute best to remain oblivious to the situation between Traverse and his mother, but it really was impossible. I still like to think that this misunderstanding could be chalked up to language, but your blog is a bit too convincing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was as well extremely weirded out by Marah and Traverse's relationship to say the least. Really any time a boy says he likes to "fondle his mother" really always takes it too far. I guess we could attempt to make the argument that it is the century gap with language, but I feel as if that doesn't fit quite fit in the story. I try to think that it is sweet in a way, but at the end of the day it just weirds me out a little too much.

    ReplyDelete